Due to Covid-19, the 2020 MDS has been postponed until September 18-28, 2020. We are waiting for an update from the Head Office in France to see if additional registrations will be accepted for the 2020 Race. Here is the official MDS website.
2020 MDS: Registration is handled via the official race website: www.MarathonDesSables.com The entry fee for those living in North America is 3,170 Euros and must be paid, via wire transfer, to the Head Office in France. Airfare, and pre-race hotel rooms (if needed) are not included in the race entry fee. Payment can be made all at once or in installments, with the final payment due in January. Spots in the 2020 Marathon des Sables are not officially “reserved” unless the required registration deposit is received, via wire transfer, by the Head Office in France. Additionally, each competitor must complete the required information in their on-line account, which included uploading a photo and copy of your passport. Please page down to view the list of what is included in the entry fee.
IMPORTANT: We strongly recommend that every competitor purchase a Trip Cancellation Insurance policy in the event that you need to cancel your registration.
Entry visas are NOT required for citizens of the USA.
2020 ENTRANTS – OFFICIAL REGISTRATION DOCUMENTS
For the safety of everyone, all participants are required to read, review and understand the official race Rules & Regulations prior to the start of the Marathon Des Sables. Be sure to review the penalty sections to know what to expect during the event.
MEDICAL FORM: – an official race Medical Form will need to be downloaded (by logging into your official MDS account) and completed by your doctor not more than 30 days prior to the start of the actual event. Additionally, an EKG will need to be completed (in that 30 day window). Both forms need to contain an original signature by the Doctor, as well as a stamp from his/her office, and then presented to the race medical staff during the race administrative check in Morocco. DO NOT send the Medical Form to our office, or the Head Office in France. You must have it in your possession during the administrative check-in at the race in Morocco.
Official Rules & Regulations
As mentioned above, you must familiarize yourself with the Rules and Regulations of the Marathon Des Sables. These are very important and have been provided for your information, training/race preparation, and compliance during the race. Please review and follow them. They have been put in place to ensure your safety, and that of the other participants. Failure to follow these rules can result in race penalties and/or disqualification, so please take them seriously.
MDS Registration Fee Includes:
- Bus Transfers to the Bivouac (campsite) to and from Ouarzazate (usually a 5-6 hour ride)
- General Ground Assistance during the race
- Bivouac (campsite with shared tent) for the duration of the event
- Two nights hotel (after the race) in Ouarzazate, Morocco
- Bottled water at the bivouac and for the duration of the race (rationed, per the Race Rules)
- Repatriation insurance to France and Europe during the race
- Technical support (e-mail messages, daily results; rankings) during the race
- Medical Assistance, if required, for the duration of the event
- Emergency Air and Ground Support for the duration of the event
- Emergency Survival Kit (glow stick, salt tablets)
- Finisher’s Medal
- Finisher’s T-shirt
- Official Finisher’s Certificate (downloadable)
- Official Downloadable Race Video
Team Registration Includes:
(A team is made up of three or more competitors)
- All of the above, plus:
- Listing of the name of the team in the official press pack
- Official team ranking each day and in the final standings
- Individual ranking for each team member
Registration is completed entirely on-line via the official MDS website. CLICK HERE to register.
Cancellations / Refunds
All cancellations and requests for refunds must be made in writing, directly to the Head Office, with a copy to our office, by registered mail in order to avoid any misunderstanding. Refunds will be made on the following basis:
- 70 Euros will be retained for processing entries in the event of cancellation before April 30, 2019.
- 25% of the FULL enrollment fee will be retained by the organization in the event of cancellation before September 30, 2019.
- 40% of the FULL race entry fee will be retained by the organization in the event of cancellation between October 1, 2019 and November 30, 2019.
- 60% of the FULL race entry fee will be retained by the organization in the event of cancellation between December 1, 2019 and January 15, 2020.
- Beyond January 15, 2020 midnight, no request for reimbursement will be honored.
ONCE AGAIN, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND THAT ALL COMPETITORS PURCHASE TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE IN THE EVENT THAT YOU NEED TO CANCEL YOUR REGISTRATION. EVERY YEAR, AT LEAST ONE PERSON WITHDRAWS WITHOUT PURCHASING A POLICY AND REGRETS THAT DECISION.